Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

creative_writer
Senior Contributor

Studying and being ND

Hi

I have an ASD diagnosis, but also have some ADHD symptoms (no diagnosis at this stage), I need to discuss my attention issues with my psych during my next appointment. I struggle a lot with concentration and remaining still for long periods of time, I stim a lot. I know relaxing music, relaxation exercises, prayer and good old matcha help me concentrate and feel calmer. Does anyone else have any other tips on studying? 

42 REPLIES 42

Re: Studying and being ND

Timed breaks helps me, and self-talk in terms of rewarding myself. That is, I tell myself that once I've completed XYZ, then I'll treat myself to XYZ @creative_writer 

Thoughts?

@tyme I think that would work. I think structured breaks would be helpful, I kind of drift in and out depending on what my brain is feeling. I think I'm doing better today than I was yesterday. Still not perfect, but it appears I will be going through my matcha quicker now because I am too scattered brain without it 😂 

I found rewards really help me. 

Sometimes it may even be, "As soon as I finish reading this page, I'm going to walk outside." Hence I don't let myself get up until that is done. 

I think i've always done this, even as a child. I remember in maths, I'd challenge myself to complete an X number of questions before I let myself have dinner. I guess it was something that worked for me.

It's good you are reaching out to gather as many strats as you can. Then it's about finding what works for you.

@creative_writer I would keen to read long…. I don’t Imhavd a lot of tips because I’m not a studier I did an apprenticeship and spent one day a week at TAFE and it was a living hell
BUT there are certain things I need to concentrate and read etc…
I am also looking at doing my therapeutic hort course so I will need to build up some skills for that

@tyme I think I’m just in the process of trying to understand what works for me. Rewarding yourself can really go a long way. I also got up sooner today than later, I found that helped. Being in bed for ages just puts the day off.

@ArraDreaming I wish I had tips, but I’m in the process of figuring things out for myself. I think it’s also about recognising what may not help too. Like I know when I keep emotions in, they build up and can affect my ability to concentrate

Hugs @creative_writer 

@ArraDreaming , @tyme have some good ideas there 

And my husband has ASD undiagnosed but his MH team are sure he has it 

Will Tag @Jynx here too , may have some tips too 

@Shaz51 ASD can be rough, I hope your husband and you are receiving the support you both need 💖🫂. ASD wouldn’t surprise me, it’s common among those with bipolar.

I actually have one of those unofficial ASD diagnosis from multiple psychs. I never really went through the whole testing process, it’s so expensive as an adult. I don’t plan to get NDIS

Hi @creative_writer 

I know that you have already got some good tips from others on this thread, but I just wanted to drop in to say that there may assistance programs where you are studying that you could access.  I had no idea about this when I returned to study after 12 years, but found that disability support services recognise mental health conditions and have great supports available for use.  It might be worth looking into?  I just needed a letter of support from my GP/psych.

Also, if you are finding that you are needing to get up and move could you use this as a form of study time by listening to audio versions of texts/articles that you are needing to read?  That way when you go to sit down you can use the sitting time to write ideas down or write assignments/reports etc?

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

Won’t hurt to look into it @SkySeeker22 I think listening to the audio is a good suggestion. I find it really hard proof reading my work and I am always skipping words when I do, I found the read aloud function helpful for proofreading assignments. I am guilty of missing lots of reading though this semester, more than I want to admit. This semester has been very content heavy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.