Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Autism, Trauma and Mental Health...

@Molly22 

Was watching this and thought of you.

There are a few youtubes out there on the autism subject which has helped me, even though I am not officially diagnosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkD9d8qzB-g 

@Appleblossom WOW... just wow.  That's an amazing video.  On so many levels.  I can totally relate to this guys experience.  Except I don't stim that way.  Maybe because I have had decades of having to hide my natural tendencies.  Mostly these days I play with putty.  Like constantly.  

But it's funny how he was just explaining background noise and my husband just phoned from his sons place in North Dakota and his grandson had friends over and all I could hear was screaming kids and I just had to hang up.

It was interesting how he talked about autistic children learning to just 'do nothing' for fear of punishment.  That describes my experience.  Not because I was electric shocked - thank God.  But when you notice that your natural way of doing things isn't the way others do it, and you are teased or bullied or somehow made wrong, in the end you just get too scared to do anything at all.  

@Molly22 

The touch at the end is cute and light-hearted.

Thank god I have not received shock either, but I know about being paralysed and feeling my instincts were wrong.  Take Care

@Molly22 while I understand there's way too much policing on these forums, identity online is a major concern for most people.

@Molly22  I was looking to see if we had a thread discussing ASD and came across this and it's very informative, Thank you for sharing your experience. I also want to acknowledge the grief that must have come with that diagnosis later in life. I just wanted to pop my head in here to say the 2nd of April is 'World Autism Understanding Day' and you can read more about that here https://www.autismspectrum.org.au/waud 

I want to celebrate the many people on the spectrum who have touched my life. I have witnessed how challenging and remarkable it can be and I feel very lucky to have had those experiences. 

The world is a better place when we embrace diversity 😊

@Appleblossom @NatureLover @Shaz51 @Zoe7 @BPDSurvivor 

Hello and hugs @Paperdaisy , @Molly22 , @Codex1 , @Appleblossom , @NatureLover 

How is everyone xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.