Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here 🙂

Thanks BPD survivor. I am seeing a therapist and am doing meditation. It has been a long arduous journey with this girl 15 years now since she had a suicide attempt but the damage she is doing is not only to herself but every one around her including the children which is a very sad state of affairs. However she has started treatment and hopefully that will help her. I just wait in fear of the next great idea that she has. 

Hi there, Newbie to the Carer community here. My mum has manic depression and has been in and out of hospital four times over the past few years (her latest discharge was earlier this week and I’m currently staying at her place as her carer). Keen to learn from this community particularly as I would like to better understand the affect my mums mental illness has had on me plus understand how I can support her and my other family members whilst creating my own boundaries. Any tips or advice on where to start please reach out!

Hi, I have a brother with Bipolar and schizoaffective disorder who does not engage in his treatment, and I am not sure what to do.  My family have been trying to help him for 25+ years, but they're all worn out, and I'm not willing to do the same for the next 25 years!

Hello, my name is Ellevie.  I am a new member, and really looking forward to the forums.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm not officially recognised as a carer but my husband has diagnosed Aspergers and a few physical issues, and I have 3 young kids; 5yo with speech delays and attention issues (no formal diagnosis), 3yo with GDD (speech and attention issues) and a 1yo. It's been very isolating to be a carer but I can't seem to get seen as the diagnoses are either "old" or not "bad enough". I'm hoping to find people who understand.

Welcome to the forums @Justme5 - Thank you for reaching out and sharing what is going on for you at the moment. 

As you browse around the forums, I hope you will be able to read of others' experiences of caring for their children.

I hear you are finding it difficult to get support, especially for all three of your children. Have they been seen by a GP or paediatrician? 

Thank you for responding. Yes, the 2 older kids have been assessed by a paed and its a whole thing. Very disappointing. My son has just been reassessed and they came to the conclusion he has "too many" issues for a specific diagnosis so they just want to wait and see, hence the GDD diagnosis. My daughter is just starting the process for the second time. We are also finding that my husbands aspergers diagnosis needs to be updated as its out of date and no longer recognised.

Hello and welcome @Justme5 

I am not officially a carer for my family , then I became carer for my 91 year old mum which I had to show how much I do for her 

Sending you understanding hugs 

And we have a thread to click on to is The Virtual Village - a space for parenting 'stuff' and I will tag you there too 

Thank you kindly

For children with 'too many issues', the GDD sounds right. However, you CAN get NDIS funding for that which may then support with therapy etc @Justme5 . Have you looked into that?

Also, is your 5 year old starting school next year? It would be good to get on top of it early if he is.

You are not alone @Justme5 . Sitting with you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.