Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Lozzer
New Contributor

Treatment for depression

I am a 73 year old man. I started getting depressed early December being taken advantage of by a person who said he was a builder who did shoddy work not finished so I see this mess every day till I work out what to do  my dr started me on (medication - edited by moderator) 3 months ago, then (different medication - edited by moderator) 2 1/2 months ago it is not working I have adhd but had stopped taking it I started taking it about 2 weeks ago at the same time after 2 days I become shakey & went to the public mental health unit they said couldn't treat me unless suicidal yet my mate after 2 yrs gp & private physiologists had a breakdown he went to public mental health there they put him in hospital accused & treated him & he recovered I need this but can't get it as our public health is overloaded I see there are telehealth options where u can get treated can anyone recommend one that helped them

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Treatment for depression

Hey Lozzer, 

Thanks so much for sharing what you're experiencing right now, I hope that you're able to get the support that you need from our SANE community. 

I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you an email regarding some of the content of your post 🙂 

Are you currently speaking to a professional about how you're feeling in any way? Or do you have any informal supports that you go to when you are feeling depressed? 

Sitting with you,

Amber22

Hi Lozzer, 

I am sorry to hear you are suffering from depression and finding it difficult to see someone. 

Your builder situation sounds very frustrating- especially as you’re reminded of it every day in the house.

Would you consider a private psychologist or counselling?

Bluegum

Yes It would be telehealth I tried one but $400 1/2 hr can't afford I am told telehealth for depression in country areas bulk billed just want to find good one thank you for your kind reply

Hi @Lozzer ,

Whilst SANE services do not replace clinical interventions, I'm wondering whether you would be interested/eligible for SANE's Guided Service? This is a free service spanning over 14 weeks. You can check your eligibility here https://www.sane.org/referral#eligibility

These forums are moderated 24/7. Hopefully you can find the support, connection and belonging that you deserve.

Hi @Lozzer I'm sorry to hear about your situation. 

Would you consider seeing a counsellor instead? Much cheaper and helpful to guide you through the things your struggling with. 

Hi @Lozzer ,

How are you? Hope you can respond here.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.