Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Preparing for Mental Illness

Hello everyone,

This is an opening for dealing with the "Beginning of Mental Illness". Mental health disorders occur at different times in life. So I am going to give you tips on mental health issues. 

It all begins with:

-have a GP on board twice a week

-seek treatment with a psychiatrist (if needed)

-the reason why it's a good idea to see a doctor twice a week is because of medication, changes in the behaviours, when too seek treatment for going to hospital

-seeking treatment for psychology depending what funding you get divide up the sessions

-bare in mind that each person has their own needs

-ask about hospital programs you may need to admitted for these programs

-research on other charity, government and please like "The Black Dog Institute, Butterfly Foundation (eating disorders), SANE Australia and many others etc

-the Butterfly Foundation runs counselling and support groups for eating disorders

-do that comes to my next thing when you're ready do a support group

Remember these things take time. It's hard to trust and take the first step remember the first step is the hardest but the long term results are amazing.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Preparing for Mental Illness

Hey @Sapphire2, thank you for putting this together for the Forums community!

It can definitely be challenging when you first start to experience MH issues and I know I don't even know where to start and having some guidance like this would be very helpful indeed.

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.