Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Topic Tuesday. A shout out to @Zoe7 @Andra @SteamedToast@Charlotte67 @Former-Member @PrincessP @Former-Member @koiron @VivienneB @greenspace @London @iamames @Pokemongirl @Appleblossom @Jkm @AussieGirl @Former-Member @Mazarita @1stepup61 @MelLeighD @Phoenix_Rising @Heart @BlueBay @Former-Member @Former-Member @Ziggy

Just letting you know we have about 15 mins until kick off 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

Good everning everyone!

Tonight we are lucky to have Mental Health Australia's CEO @FrankGQuinlan

For those who haven't heard of MHA, - 

Mental Health Australia is the peak, national non-government organisation representing and promoting the interests of the Australian mental health sector and committed to achieving better mental health for all Australians.

We have two hours to tackle learn what is MH reform, what is the draft 5th National MentalHealth Plan, what impact it may have you and how can you advocate.

So, a big welcome to Frank!

Thanks Nik, good to be here 🙂

While we wait for questions, @FrankGQuinlan did you want to briefly touch on what the 5th National MH Plan is and how the draft came together?

There is so much happening at the moment!

I'd love to hear what people are thinking the main areas of reform should be???

I would like to hear a brief outline of the major changes.

For me one of the biggest issues is the bad stuff that still goes on in inpatient settings. I have a lot of trauma-related issues due to my experiences IN the mental health system which now impact my life more than the factors that brought me into contact with the system in the first place.

Sure!

The 5th Plan was put together by all state and territory governments and the Commonwealth together.

To be honest, we were not that happy with the first draft - released last year.

it had no targets, no money, no concrete actions, and was focussed almost completely on health (not emplyment, housing, etc)

There has been some consultation sice, and governments are now considering that feedback and developing a new draft - for release later in the year.

Did anyone see the Draft? What did you think?

Sooo many questions (public health student here) I think accessibility and affordability are key areas that desperately need reform.

Haven't seen the draft - will check it out now and come back

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.