Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Grief and Loss // Tues 3rd August, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Thank you @Daisydreamer @amandaGL @Owlunar @Zoe7 @Shaz51 

This has been very interesting. I'm a bit of a mess now but that's just me. 😢

Thanks @amandaGL 

It is brutal when people accept us to move on too quickly - they don't understand - and indeed - would we really want them too

Someone at Compassionate Friends told me that if I had a heart attack I would be in hospital hooked up to machines with tubes etc - and no one would expect anything from me - but a death - they didn't see that injury to the soul - the heart

But it's still true - I didn't want them to - really - I just wish they had given me more space

Thank you everyone ...especially @Daisydreamer for putting this evening together with our special guest @amandaGL Whilst it has been hard for many of us to be here - it has also been a very warm, caring and supportive space - so thank you everyone for that Heart

Thank you everyone for allowing me to join your forum tonight – it was such a privilege.  Tonight’s discussion is testament to the need for more conversation around grief and loss in our community – to share the burden, learn from each other, and walk alongside each other.

Amongst the sadness and despair, I’ve noticed quite a few stories of adapting to a new life after loss.   Despite the challenges that loss brings, it’s important to remember that grief is a healthy and adaptive process and can be the source of amazing personal growth. Some of our Olympians are a great example.  A number them have been spurred on to achieve greatness after experiencing profound loss - like triple gold medal-winning swimmer Kaylee McKeown who lost her father a year ago and swum her heart out “to make him proud”.  

If you would like additional support please check out the resources below (you many need to google if the link is not working).  And I welcome you all to visit the Griefline Forums if you would like to continue sharing your grief and loss experience with another supportive community.  

The free Griefline Helpline is manned by volunteers who are trained in grief and loss.  It’s anonymous and you can ring as many times as you need; 1800 845 745.  We also welcome you to our forums to discuss your grief and loss experience.  You can join through this link;  https://griefline.org.au/forums/  And our resource hub has articles on all kinds of grief, loss, coping strategies etc. https://griefline.org.au/resources/ 

Other Referrals;

Grief & Loss Counselling and/or Support Groups can be very helpful to process your grief and find life after loss.

For those affected by Suicide;

Loss of a Child (any age) or Sibling

Loss of a Baby

Bereaved children, young people and families

Indigenous Response

• Thirrili, National Indigenous Critical Response Service - emotional and practical support to bereaved families and individuals impacted by suicide or other traumatic loss: http://thirrili.com.au/

@Eve7 it's been a really big conversation, and I hope that you can take some time tonight to do something for you Heart What you are feeling right now is okay, and we are sitting here with you. Griefline's helpline is also open until midnight if you want to speak with them this evening Heart 

A bit of self care  now @Eve7 and we have the forum with us xoxo 

Hugs , I am having a cuppa 

Thank you @amandaGL , @Daisydreamer , @Former-Member for a great night xx 

Thanks so much @Daisydreamer @amandaGL 

Thanks everyone.

Yes @Eve7 Me too - I'm rather teary....

Adge

Hi @amandaGL @Daisydreamer @Former-Member 

I just wanted to thank you so much for creating a safe space where we could share some of our experiences Heart

The information that you shared was fantastic and I really appreciated the way in which you gently and sensitively guided the conversations Heart

Thank you so much 😊

Take care,

ShiningStar Heart

Yes @Adge ,  a couple of tears here too ❤

Thank you everyone for contributing to the conversation this evening. Its a very difficult, heavy topic but it was good being able to hear everyones experiences and learn and grow from hearing your stories. Heart Take care everyone Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.