Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script

How are you @confused_nomad ? I was thinking of you and wanted to check-in to see how you are.

Hi,

I am not good, BPD awareness week falls on my bday and my bday is painful for me. 

I got out of an on off relationship that caused the worst bpd flare up of my life, I often don't recognise myself anymore.

It's so tough being an empathetic person but then being so misunderstood by others.

Anyway thoise are my thoughts, thanks for listening 

Hi @traumagal ,

Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry you are hurting so much at this time.

Relationships are so complex. With my BPD, I hurt a lot of people. As you mentioned, being hypersensitive can be a curse and a blessing. You feel everything. The pain sears you. You don’t know who you are anymore.

I just want you to know that you are not alone. I hear your BPD hurt is so real.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @traumagal 

My birthday is coming up soon also. I generally don't feel like excited about it. I don't know what the connection between birthdays and BPD is... but I do know that I hear your frustration.

Reading your post, I can relate to a bunch of things, especially the flare-ups. I feel disconnected with who I am, being around people a lot and it's easy to feel like I'm losing my grip sometimes.

I hope you are taking small steps each day to recognise and nurture yourself. I'm happy there are lots of trees and plants flowering and I know I won't always feel as crummy as I do lately. I hope you feel a bit better today too.

🙂

I don’t like birthdays either @xtine @traumagal ! 

But with me, I think it’s the idea of so many people talking to me or saying hello when I just want to coop up and hide. 

Celebrating a birthday hurts me. That’s why now, I just treat it like an ordinary day. To me, everyday I’m alive is a gift. Esp seeing I never thought I’d live to see my 25th bday because of my SH and attempts…

Sitting with you both.

Hello @BPDSurvivor , @xtine , @traumagal , @Ferylgirl xx

Birthdays are  actually just another day , and every day is a special occasion to celebrate 

How are you all today xx

So true @Shaz51 , every day is a special occasion. Life is precious. We often don’t know until we are close to losing it. 

I recently had my birthday. I went to stay with one daughter and then we both went to the other daughter's house to celebrate my birthday with lunch and cake for the three of us. I am 57 now.

I have not had a party for my birthday since I was 6. 

I get a present from one daughter each year and if I am lucky the 2nd daughter buys me something. My husband used to just surprise me with a present throughout the year sometime. He is not a fan of birthdays, especially his own. His 74th Birthday is today. 

I lived on celebrations for many years until my kids got to their teens and became very demanding, wanting things I simply could not afford. Then it just became a sense of failure all the time. 

Celebrations had given me something to look forward to and now I dread birthdays. 

Having something to look forward to was what kept me going.

The same happened with Christmas. No one would help with decorations, planning, cooking, cleaning before or after, it was all left to me and it became a dreadful time of year. I feel like my family stole my happiness by stealing the celebrations. 

I really resent them for that because now, at best I feel flat around special occasions.

They are all grinches except one. Terri still celebrates with me. Terri has a severe brain injury.  Her sister just wants presents and at 33 she shows her disgust if I get it wrong.

My son's birthday is in two days time. I am not allowed to have contact with him or his family, My eldest daughter has 8 children and I am not allowed contact with her or her children her birthday was four days before mine. My eldest son, Anthony died a month before Christmas and his biirth day is a month after so Christmas was always very difficult for me, but I made it a real celebration so the family could focus on happiness. Now I am left with just the hurt that drags on from his death anniversary to his birthday with nothing in between.

Sorry I guess I got carried away. but I don't get to talk about this as no one wants to hear it.

Terri and I celebrate one another's birthdays. 

Hi have just been diagnosed with bpd. Help

Hello and welcome @Sirine 

Want would you like to know 

I will tag @BPDSurvivor , @Ferylgirl , @xtine , @traumagal. Some members who can help you 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.