Skip to main content
Facebook Twitter Email Subscribe to eNews
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Anny101
Casual Contributor

Abused unfairly by worker at grandmother's retirement facility

If I didn't already have complex PTSD and learning to find the world a safe place with kind safe people - I randomly got abused by a clearly unwell worker at a old aged home. One woman witnessed the whole thing and told me "never mind her, she does that to everyone don't take any notice". Umm don't take notice? As if this won't flare my trauma! I'm distressed and sad now and again feel the world is unsafe and unfair. 😞

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Abused unfairly by worker at grandmother's retirement facility

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you @Anny101 . It sure doesn't sound fair. Do you work there?

Would you consider raising this with management, even if it's so that there's a record?

From what the woman said, it sounds like it was not a targeted attack at you, but more a display of their own issues.

Is there something you can do to help you feel better at this time?

We're here for you.

Hi @Anny101 , what an awful thing to happen!! 

Have you thought about putting in a complaint? Otherwise, what are skills you have developed to support yourself when you are triggered? 

If I had them would I be posting on here...

How are you feeling today @Anny101?

I was so saddened to read this, some people can be just plain horrible and there is no good reason for it. I hope you realise it's not a reflection of you, I have to remind myself of this whenever I encounter rude or crappy people because it can really take it's toll on me too.

I hope this reminder can help you. 

I'm not hurt BC I feel put down or insecure or that it's anyway my fault, I'm hurt that I've been spoke to so aggressively, but everyone has their own feelings of being abused, some feel they aren't good enough,I'm just upset that I was spoken to like that but I don't go on to feel like I'm not good enough or worthy of that, I just feel abused, I feel it's unfair, I feel victimised and traumatised....everybody gives me the advice of "it's not you" but it doesn't help my hurt feelings at all, I am not upset because I feel there is something wrong with me, I am upset purely BC I've been abused and it's not a nice feeling. It's terrible that people take it a step further to internalise it I would hate someone to let a bully make them feel any such way about themselves, yes of course it's them and not us, but it's still hurtful at being beraded by someone. It's also hurtful at the feeling of being powerless, independent on whether I stood up for myself or not, most of the time I do stand up for myself but it doesn't make me feel any better unfortunately....I guess it's the trauma that makes me sad....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Tandem respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Australia. Tandem is committed to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities to support the principles of self-determination, and ensure the voices of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander carers in Victoria are heard and considered.